Friday, January 20, 2012

Living Dead Girl

While scrolling through radio stations in search of a satisfying song, I came across "Living Dead Girl" by Rob Zombie.
Not exactly my style, my hand rested on the knob just long enough for a spark to fire in my brain.
Having no idea what the song was meant to be, the phrase began twisting and churning in my brain.

How many people are wandering about their days - step, step, step - feeling the absence of life in their numb yet functioning bones?

How many women have lost their heart's breath at the hands of insult and abuse?
How many boys have lost their power in the absence of a gentle father?
How many men have lost their will to a suffocating spouse?
How many girls are both alive and dead, stuck in a self-loathing image?

How many people?

Society is, if not dead,  broken with multitudes of "living dead girls".

How do I, a stranger and a friend, help infuse life back into the lifeless, before metaphor becomes literal?

A tear slips down.

My only hope is for Hope itself.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to join in the conversation or post a thought. I strongly believe we can learn from each other.