Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Secrets

Have you hear about Post Secret? A man named Frank Warren contrived a genius idea years ago. He had come to realise that so many people are carrying around secrets and have no avenue to set them free. He opened a post office box where people could anonymously send in their personally designed postcards with their secret written on them. They could tell someone, even if no one knew it was them doing the telling. A safe place. He then compiled them, publishing them in book form and on line.
Some of the postcards were as simple and humorous as "I peed in the pool" and some as profound as "I'm scared to tell you that I'm scared. Are you scared too?" or "I'm afraid that deep down I am truly unworthy of another person's love" or "I love one of my children". Themes of sexual abuse, feeling unloved or unaccepted, doubt and violent acts fill the pages.
I see overwhelming pain.
But there are postcards with themes of hope and freedom and humour sprinkled through the heart-wrenching designs of suffering. Some people do break free. Even with the simple act of sending their card. One person wrote this:
"Dear Frank, After I created my postcard, I didn't want to be the person with the secret any longer. I ripped up my postcard and I decided to start making some changes in my life." I call that progress. I call that hope.
This summer I had the opportunity to allow a group of teenagers and young adults (some who I knew personally and some I didn't)  to design postcards and anonymously put them in a box. I am the only one who has ever seen them.
Except for one.
It simply said this: "You believed in me before I even believed in myself. Thank you."
That one I framed and have displayed in my kitchen. Every time I go to the fridge I see it sitting there on its shelf and it inspires me.
 I didn't know who wrote it but it didn't matter. A young life now believes in themselves because someone, just someone like me, believed in them first.
Wow. I didn't realise the impact that I, a flawed and selfish being could have on a young life. As honoured as I am, that thought scares me to death. (And to life!) It begs me to ask myself, how do I want to live my life? Since we influence others continually, knowingly or not - positively or negatively, what impact will I choose to make? Will I believe in others, even if they are hard to love? Or are making poor choices? Are living their life to a different standard than I have chosen for myself? Have  a different belief system that I do?  Can I learn from them, even if they are fumbling through life as I stumble on?
That young life who wrote this most inspiring sentence which pierced my heart, spreading fear and joy into my veins like a poisonous love potion that will never leave, gave me a huge honour by revealing their identity to me in recent weeks.
Now, whenever I see that beautiful young woman, I am inspired not only by what she designed on that little 4" x 6" card, but by her heart, her voice, her life and her smile. I am reminded that people are what matters. People are what matters.
So my wish for this day is twofold: First, that you would have the courage to be free. Free from you secrets. Send a postcard to www.postsecret.com, throw the words into the air as you shout it out loud into the sky on top of a hill with your arms spread wide, or tell a trusted loved one who will accept you unconditionally. Snap its chains.
Second, I wish you will be inspired to change lives. To be examples of what humanity can be, if we choose love, forgiveness, grace and hope.

Amen.

To privately contact me send message to susiewithans@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. It's great that there is such a website as Safe Place. It's just too bad that we need something like that to fill the void created by the Church not being the safe place that it should be.

    R

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to join in the conversation or post a thought. I strongly believe we can learn from each other.